Hip Injuries & Physical Therapy
December 22nd, 2014
Physical therapy provides exciting possibilities to promote strengthening, healing and rehabilitation of the hip and lower limbs. Here are some of the options in the arsenal of the physical therapist:
- Ultrasound to heal connective tissue (tendons and ligaments).
- Manipulative therapy that includes stretching and massage.
- Resistance training to build the muscle strength.
- Cold compress for acute injuries and heat to relax muscular spasms.
- Low level laser use for muscle and connective tissue injuries.
- Functional electrical stimulation to restore strength in the muscles.
The sooner the therapist assesses the injury and initiates treatment, the better the outcome. Some home remedies that the physical therapist may prescribe include:
- Active stretching
- Passive stretching
- Strengthening exercises
- Light aerobics
It is never too early to seek treatment options for your injuries. If you or someone you know is suffering from pain caused by a hip related injury, book an appointment online!